Monday, November 24, 2008

Conversations with Syd and Sam

It had been quiet for far too long, which indicated that my "little stinkers" were up to something. There was no giggling, no fighting, no noise of any kind... I walked through the house and found them back in my bedroom. They were sitting on the bed, with every book from my nightstand around them. The jackets were taken off all the hard bound books and thrown onto the floor. Sydney was looking intently at the book in her lap and Sam was stacking them up like blocks. The following conversation then took place...I typed it exactly like they said it.

Mom: "What are you guys doing?"
Sam: "I dunno..."
Syd: "I'm reading your Bibles. I am finding all the "s"es. (Sydney is obsessed with finding every "s" she can...she even watches the ending credits of a movie and watches for them on the screen.)
Mom: "You guys know you're not supposed to play with Mommy's books. Please put them away now."
Sam: "No, Mommy...I weeding you ible."
Syd: "Yeah, I'm gonna read Sam a story from your Bible, ok? In the beginning, God creation the heavens and the earf... Jesus is the Christ, he is God's son...Bless are those who hear the word of God and keep it! See Mommy...I told you I could read!" (with a big grin on her face)
Sam: (while clapping) "Yay Nyney!" He then bowed his head and said, "Me pay. Thank you Gob food. Amen."

I have to say the kid's won this one! Sydney was reciting Bible verses she memorized for Gophers (a preschool Bible class she goes to on Wednesday nights) and Sam was "paying." I don't actually keep our Bibles on the night stand since the kids can rip the pages so easily, so they were just pretending that they were Bibles. The funniest part of the story: Sydney was "reading" from the Dr. Oz book, "You: On a Diet" and it was upside down...

Needless to say, they didn't get in trouble this time. We just picked all the books up together and went to find a "real" Bible.

2 comments:

Tim, Casey, Landon, and Claire said...

You can't get mad at that! What a sweet scene! Love it and cherish those precious moments.

Leah said...

Good Job Sydney and Sam.
Cuties!